Lectures and lab classes will be recorded and uploaded on my YouTube channel.
The intermediate exam will be written with 3 questions about the topic treated to which the student will be asked to answer with text, figures and formulas. The final exam will be a discussion of the exercises provided by the students int the form of Jupyter notebooks plus a short Python exercise. Each of the exercises will be discussed separately and by booking an appointment with the professor before the formal date of the exam or at the day of the final exam. The Pico touch-screen at the first floor of the Mesiano building will be used for the presentations.
- The Open Science Framework for uploading the produced material.
- Python 3.* within Jupyterlab for scripting, and in particular the numpy, scipy, matplotlib and pandas es.
- Docker , a tool designed to make it easier to create, deploy, and run applications by using containers (to see what it means, go here).
- Part of the GEOframe system for the various simulations
Foreseen ScheduleMaterial uploaded is subject to modifications prior to the schedule date
2019-03-06 - Ground based Precipitations and their statistics Separation snow-rainfall - measure of precipitation
- Return period. Distribution of extreme precipitations.
- Maximum likelihood
- Minimi quadrati
- Test di Pearsons/Chi square
- More formal on Pearson's Chi square
- Generalised extreme value distributio
T -Water in soil. Darcy-Buckingham. Hydraulic conductivity. Soil water retention curves.
- Soils (YouTube 2017,YouTube2018)
- Texture and Structure of soils (YouTube 2017, YouTube2018)
- Aquifers (optional)
- Definitions (YouTube 2017,YouTube2018)
- Darcy-Buckingham law (YouTube 2017, YouTube2018)
- Soil Water RetentionCurves (YouTube 2017, YouTube2018)
- Hydraulic Conductivity
- Conductivity in unsaturated soils (YouTube2018)
- Saturated conductivity (YouTube2018)
- Further readings
- Mass conservation - Richards equation (YouTube2017)
- Just the divergence Theorem (YouTube2018)
- Solving Richards equation (YouTube2018)
- Notation Summary
- Further Readings (or views (optionals)
- Pedotransfer Functions - (YouTube2017)
- Simplifications of Richards 1D (YouTube2017)
- Phenomenology of infiltration (according to Richards equation) in a hillslope (YouTube2017)
- Water Tables equations
- Water in soils measures
- Older presentations, slides and Audios
- Video talk given at a Summer School
- A lecture on this topic at Todini's Symposium (a little advanced)
- Preferential flows
- Bimodal Water retention Curves
- An R package for getting soil hydrology
- About the Petri Net representation of Richards 1d
- L - Introduction to Python and Jupyterlab
- Hillslope hydrology and Runoff production
- Hillslope hydrology and runoff production
- Evaporation thermodynamics (YouTube2017,YouTube2018)
- Definitions (YouTube2017,YouTube2018)
- Turbulent transport of vapor (and other quantities): the Dalton law (YouTube2018)
2019-3-29 - Evaporation from soils and Transpiration
- Soil evaporation (YouTube2017, YouTube2018)
- Transpiration (YouTube2017, YouTube2018 I, II)
- Evaporation as energy transport (YouTube2018)
- Penman-Monteith (YouTube2018)
- Ecosystems (Optional)
- L - More statistics with Python
2019-04-05 - Snow hydrology
2019 - 05 - 01 and 03 - Lab Work on Precipitation extremes
- Estimation of Extreme Precipitation with Python
- Exercise: Using the examples of the last Lab, draw a Gumbel distribution.
- Exercise: Select randomly from a Gumbel distribution and empirically shows the effects of the central limit theorem.
- For estimating the Gumbel distribution parameters:
- Use momenta
- Use maximum likelihood
- UseMinimum squares
- Pearson's Tests
- Where to get the data
- Estimating the intensity-duration-frequency curves
- Intro 2 OMS
- Simulations of 1d infiltration with GEOframe-Richards-1d
- Richards 1d (YouTube2018)
- Quick start information (YouTube2018)
- Soil Water Retention Curves
- Hydraulic Conductivity
- Github place
- GEOframe blog information
- Python notebooks
2019-05-22 and 24 - Student work under professor assistance
2019-05 29 and 31 - Estimation of radiation in a single location with GEOframe tools.
2019-06-12 and 14 - Work with students