You are not assumed to know Python or Java to participate to the School. However programs runs on Java.. We will not do any Java programming though. Input/Output of models will be treated by using some scripting in Python. We will communicate the appropriate notions during the classes. However, for the interested there are plenty of courses on the web (for instance this comes from SciPy 2018. Other from SciPy here.)
- Java. GEOframe and OMS are written in Java and they require to have installed Java on your computer. Here you can find instructions to install Java on your computer. OMS need Java 8 JDK. Please note that you need the Java Development Toolkit (JDK) installed not the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The official Oracle's pages are here. You can watch several videos for Windows: here. Googling you can get videos for your platform.
- We are going to use Docker for our modelling. Therefore you need to install it (here for Linuxes) on your computer. To quickly understand what Docker is, you can see here. Or read this tutorial. This video could be useful too. The knowledge of Docker required will be extremely elementary. You will not be required to do Docker applications. You simply use one and, at the end, is just matter of executing a command.
- During the School we will use Jupyter and Python 3 for data management and visualisation. It would be great if you could arrive
- The post at this link contains all the information needed. For installation of the software, we suggest Anaconda. For any problem contact us through the mailing list.
- To understand what a Jupyter notebook is about, please see its manual. However, we will use Jupyterlab. (You can see a YouTube video about here). One can think that Jupyter was heavily based on the look-and-feel of Mathematica notebooks: but Jupyterlab is a step ahead to something different. Installing Anaconda, you also have already installed Jupyter notebook. So you have just to try it issuing the command:
- Jupyter notebook
- You still do not know what to do with it, but we will lear step by step during the Winter School
- Finally, at least for MacOs user, due to a bug either in the Docker or in GEOtools, it is necessary to use the OMS Console. You can download the beta 3.5.62 release from here.
- If you want to further with Jupiter and Jupiterlab, you can install BeakerX. For its installation, please follow verbatim the instructions here. The instructions given at the main page of BeakerX are incomplete ;-).