The event is going to be jointly promoted and developed by the Alpine Convention and the UNECE Water Convention, in order to favour the creation of synergies and the exchange of experiences (i.e. among the Alpine territory, the Carpathians, the Caucasus, Central Asia,...).
The 5th Water Conference is intended to provide to a wide audience of experts, administrators, practitioners and stakeholders the state of the art, the best practices and the main findings about adaptation to climate change in the mountain trans-boundary river basins.
Different panels of experts will illustrate the main results of the last years of activities in the respective conventions.
Furthermore, updated high-level information on climate change and adaptation strategies will be provided, together with the results of some relevant projects of European Territorial Cooperation on the issues.
Finally, a special focus will be devoted to the implementation of the measures of flood management, in the EU flood directive.
The whole set of presentations given during the conference can be found here. However, I would like to bring to attention a few outstanding, related to the impacts of climate change on the Water Cycle:
- M. Beniston, Changes in Alpine water resources: examples from the EU «ACQWA» Project^1
- A. Bellin, The impacts of climate change on water cycle
- S. Gruber, The changing mountain cryosphere: impacts on sediment and solute transport
- U. Morra di Cella, Permafrost in the Alps: the experience of PermaNET project “Long-term permafrost monitoring network”
- G. Rosatti, Modelling sediment transport in Alpine rivers subject to climate changes
^1 AQWA Project