Thursday, February 7, 2013

About doing a Ph.D.

Doing a Ph.D. is a totally absorbing activity, but it can be one of the most exciting periods of your life. However, I realize that students do not have usually the idea of what it is about.
Actually I put a brief post times ago about what is the core of Ph.D. studies, which is well summarised by the  picture below:
The Figure and the idea is by Matt Might whose blog is a nice reading experience (here the full story).
Recently, I discover that my colleague Davide Geneletti usually provides his students with a set of links of useful readings.  In my best tradition of robber I post them here below with some addition, since I found them  quite informative. They comes from authors from various disciplines  and roles, but their contents are of quite general interest. So here it is the list:



Last but not least he suggest the reading  of the book which I found amusing:

that more or less complete the picture. I would not avoid also to give a look to these "slides offering advice that is wickedly and memorably to the point"

The web is full of other good link and you can certainly find your favorite web site or blog. A suggestion do not hesitate too much on this stuff: eventually you have a Ph.D to pursue ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I found this reading very useful, even if it was thought for computer science students.

    http://www.cs.unc.edu/~azuma/hitch4.html

    This guide focuses on mental toughness and the skills a graduate student needs. It also discusses finding a job after completing the Ph.D. and points to many other related web pages:

    ReplyDelete