Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Notes from a panel on reviewing

I take from one of the blog I follow Living on an Ivory basement, a post on reviewing papers:
My notes for a panel presentation on reviewing papers and grants. Talking on reviewing is always an excuse to talk about science, and the way scientists think to it.  Jump to the blog for reading it.

Directly from the post above: Env. Micro. referee comments:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1462-2920.2011.02660.x/full

Some examples:
- "It is sad to see so much enthusiasm and effort go into analyzing a dataset that is just not big enough."
- "You call the sample fresh water, this is confusing as it is saline water."
- "The biggest problem with this manuscript, which has nearly sucked the will to live out of me, is the terrible writing style."

These is absolutely not how you should write reviews. But they are funny.

1 comment:

  1. Really funny!!!
    From the Env. Micro. referee comments I would underline this comment:
    "I would like to write you a nice comment but my bored brain is unable to produce any cute observation. Please, send me science that will start fireworks in my brain!"

    and

    "I do not understand why the co-authors of this manuscript have allowed their names to be in the author list."

    ReplyDelete