OMS3 stands for Object Modelling System version 3. Now it has also a server-side companion called Cloud Service Integration platform, CSIP. You can find information about OMS3 here:
- A brief introduction to the Object Modelling System (YouTube video).
- OMS User Manual - Introduction (pdf, epub)
For running it, you have to perform various installations:
- Java. GEOframe and OMS are written in Java and they require to have installed Java on your computer. Here you can find instructions to install Java on your computer. OMS need Java 8 JDK. Please note that you need the Java Development Toolkit (JDK) installed not the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The official Oracle's pages are here but we now want to use AdoptOpenJDK (see why here).
- The Docker way. Therefore you need to install it (here for Linuxes) on your computer. To quickly understand what Docker is, you can see here. Or read this tutorial. This video could be useful too. The knowledge of Docker required will be extremely elementary. You will not be required to do Docker applications. You simply use one and, at the end, is just matter of executing a command. The Docker hub for OMS is at https://hub.docker.com/r/omslab/oms/. Please check also the trouble shooting pages. using docker, usually, makes available the most recent version of the software. The CSIP Docker tools are at https://hub.docker.com/u/omslab
- The Console way. The OMS system installation traditional information can be found here: https://alm.engr.colostate.edu/cb/wiki/16961 and https://alm.engr.colostate.edu/cb/wiki/17107.
- For geeks, OMS and CSIP are available at maven central: https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/edu.colostate.omslab (never tried so far).
The rational for a components-based modelling system can be found with the material of the Winter School (OMS/Jupyterlab) the includes also some videos (same material of the Winter School page):
- ex_00 (zip files).Examples-basic (zip files). Please find Jupyter notebook shown in video below in the doc directory of the zipped files.
- Watertank Example (zip files). Documentation in the doc folder.
- Water Tank example - Part I YouTube video
- Creating a notebook from the scratch (Live YouTube video by Niccolò Tubini)
Since a few years, OMS v3 has a server-side companion, called Cloud Service Integration Platform (sometimes the I was said to be Innovation). For the CSIP material see here.
- David, O., Ascough, J. C., II, Lloyd, W., Green, T. R., Rojas, K. W., Leavesley, G. H., & Ahuja, L. R. (2012). A software engineering perspective on environmental modeling framework design: The Object Modeling System. Environmental Modelling and Software, 39, 1–13. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2012.03.006
- Marialaura Bancheri's dissertation (Mostly on application within GEOframe)
- Francesco Serafin dissertation (On various structural things about OMS3)
Our development regarding the Net3 (Francesco Serafin's work): https://alm.engr.colostate.edu/cb/repository/24720
Hopefully they will merge soon in an official release. All the "alm" repo at present require a password that can be asked to Olaf David (odavid <at> colostate. edu) col.